Friday, October 24, 2008

Now or Later

I'm beginning to realize that much like salad, it takes time for you to grow to like a song. Maybe this isn't the best of analogies, but I've come to a quite epiphany-ish moment in saying that sometimes, it just takes time and circumstance for you to fall in love with a song. Maybe it's the human mind to naturally shy away from main stream or only listen to main stream, but sometimes it's just really great to hear Britney before she shaved off her hair and think- this is a damn fcking good song. My loneliness is killing me, stronger than yesterday, if there's nothing missing in my life then why do these tears come at night? - Exactly.

My friend let me look at his phone once over the summer, and being my incredibly anal self, I criticized his musical selection, asking countless times 'you listen to ___!?'. Well hey-ho what do you know, he answered 'they bring back memories'. I didn't go further in arguing due to my inside thinking that 'oh he's so unaware', but now that I think about it, it's true. I've always reinforced the fact that music brings you to moments in life you'd like to remember, but it also brings you to moments in life you want to prolong. I think that's the meaning of a love song you can slow dance to, because when you relisten to it, it seems to bring back that euphoric sense of feeling you get in your chest. I guess I was too blinded by my own 'I know good music, yes I do' sense to even really see. Like seriously, SEE!

Or maybe when you listen to 'First Date' by Blink 182 and you really are on your way to pick up that girl, you think 'wow, this is all so true', and more or less you find yourself listening to it more and more in order to keep that odd feeling in your stomach that makes you smile like ten different shades of happy.

Well in a sense, I think that maybe whatever music you listen to- rock, indie, hip hop, whatever- no matter what happens, you can listen to a song that you heard and hated two years ago and think ' I remember this song! I hated this song!' and yet still know about half the lyrics to it all. For example, I still know most lyrics to the song 'I Want It That Way' by Backstreet Boys (Who I lovedlovedloved and then absolutelydespised) and to a lot of other shiz... AND LOOK HERE I HAVE TO GO.

To be continued,

KP


Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

my.great.ESCAPE. said...

'...makes you smile like ten different shades of happy...'
I just love that(: